The Lobster Theory By Greg Fishman
Saxquest is excited to have in this excellent read and handy tool for teaching. Change the way you think about jazz and music in general with a Greg's new set of musical examples and analogies.
The Lobster Theory is a groundbreaking new approach to learning the language of jazz.
It’s a book of musical concepts brought to life through the use of clever analogies, illustrated by New Yorker Magazine cartoonist Mick Stevens. Foreword by Jeff Coffin.
Through eighteen chapters, this educational book shares fresh, creative approaches to the following topics, including:
• Practicing ("Lifting Weights")
• Ear training ("The School Bell")
• Harmonic awareness ("Ketchup on a Brownie")
• Phrasing like a pro ("The Bus")
• Common tones ("Dual Citizen Notes")
• Keeping your solos fresh and spontaneous ("The Lobster Theory")
• Hearing in harmonic context ("Harmonic GPS")
• How to memorize major scales & key signatures ("Alligators, Elephants & Clowns")
• Transformative practice strategies ("Running with the Pro Dogs")